Friday, March 21, 2008

Ode to Charlie

You came into this world as fast as can be
Two hours, two pushes and then you were free
And 15 months later I’m still sprinting after thee
Oh Charlie, our Charlie, you busy baby

There are times when you squeal just to get me to look
Other times I catch you first because I read you like a book
I try to cater to your needs, but my sanity was took
Oh Charlie, our Charlie, please let me off the hook

You are into the cabinets before I can say lickety splat
For that is what you do when you get a hold of that
It doesn’t matter what container you’re sneaky as a rat
Oh Charlie, our Charlie, if only you just sat

Often you are bouncing for an hour in your bed
You’re tired but you’re curious and that fills up your head
While others count sheep you are counting books instead
Oh Charlie, our Charlie, time for night night Mama said

Now eating is another story, but trust me, it is still very sad
When I give you something new you begin to like what you had
“Dis” and pointing, turning your head, and wanting to stand so bad
Oh Charlie, our Charlie, you are such a silly lad

When you encounter drawers, dishwashers, open doors or an open fridge
You muscle your way in and block my way (only just a smidge)
So I lift you screaming from the milk jar you left teetering on the edge
Oh Charlie, our Charlie, how you love to combine gravity and the gentle nudge

If I happen to leave any kind of remote within your reach
You reprogram the channels then I begin to hear you preach
On the joys of texting every single contact in my phone (free speech)
Oh Charlie, our Charlie, you’re our very own security breach

Your attraction to bathrooms, stairs, purses and boxes I will never understand
They pull you like a magnet and completely draw you in
You like to rearrange them until they are nothing like I planned
Oh Charlie, our Charlie, I guess it’s part of growing into a little man

"Shah" "Buh BAH" "eht" "wah" "un hunh" "ahahah" You express yourself so verbally
How can I get annoyed when you're favorite people are your sister, your daddy and me?
You could just play with toys but there's so much else to see
Oh Charlie, our Charlie, someday I'll miss the busy baby

No comments: